6.12.2012

Ex Libris

© Mikayla Butchart
Here is the first thing I made at my illustration residency at SVA. Each of us created an ex libris label based on some personal family legacy or story. If your great-grandmother looked like this and was the All-Round Canadian Cowgirl of 1912 at the first Calgary Stampede, would you pick anything else?:


© Mikayla Butchart
For you sticklers out there, she did not actually ride buffalo (to my knowledge), but she lived in Alberta (and her first name was Elberta), and she took this photo somewhere near her home sometime probably around 1910,


© Mikayla Butchart

so I wanted to make use of bison, which were really common to the Canadian plains and so cool looking besides, and the wild rose, which is the provincial flower (and so fitting).  

© Mikayla Butchart

A revision page. A splotch where I dropped my paintbrush in the original painting became a cricket;
a lasso that looks less "like a coat hanger" than its original iteration.


© Mikayla Butchart

Experimenting with patterns for the saddle blanket. I was considering adding blue,
but it ended up looking like a piece about patriotism.


The gray portions were painted with FW acrylic ink, which looks and handles like watercolor but stays vibrant and waterproof when it dries. I've really been enjoying it. This piece underwent a million revisions in the last week while I was simultaneously working on four other pieces. I am so tired! I will sleep in July.